You will do research on Representation in the Media and Entertainment and write a 3-4 page essay answering the question:
What is my personal responsibility to the way media and entertainment portrays marginalized identities? (People of Color, Women, African Americans/Blacks, Latinos, LGBTQ, etc)
Instructions on Getting Started
First, begin by making sure you understand what Representation in the Media and Entertainment is=How our own identity (Hispanic Female, Black Male, Queer Person, etc) and cultures are presented in popular and mainstream media: TV, Film, LIterature, Art, Theatre, Magazines, etc. -does not include social media.
Then, before you have determined your thesis do your research (because you can’t make an educated argument if you haven’t done research). You must do research, you can’t write this essay with only your existing knowledge. Here are some research topics:
- Hollywood Diversity Report-will give you statistics on % by race and gender
- How minorities are represented in film and television
- Effects of TV on Minorities
- Effects of TV race and gender
- Women and Advertising
- How women are portrayed in film
- Masculinity in TV and Film
- Homophobia and the effects on Queer Youth
- Representation of Mexicans (insert any identity) in the Media
- Highlight your research and make notes as you come to your conclusion about the question:
What is my personal responsibility to the way media and entertainment portrays marginalized identities (People of Color, Women, African Americans/Blacks, Latinos, LGBTQ, etc)?
In this essay you will need to both explain the context/situation/issue AND explain your responsibility
Create an Outline You not submit the outline but it will strengthen your essay
- Think about how you would introduce this topic. What’s some important context to consider (social and political events of the past or happening now)
- Based on the research, what do you think we should do as individuals to improve the situation?
- Find 3 examples from the research that back up your argument
- Find 2 examples in the research that go against your argument
- Why is this topic important? What are the Consequences?
- Now Write your paper (grading guidelines below…read carefully)
Unsure of how to write a research paper? You can visit the library and one of our friendly librarians can help you!! Or use their online research guide.
Length and Formatting